Belmond Mount Nelson HotelCape Town / South Africa
Situated in the vibrant Gardens neighbourhood of Cape Town, staying at the Mount Nelson Hotel offers a unique glimpse into this town’s charming way of life. With a choice between one of the hotel’s endearing rooms, suites or garden cottage suites, guests are invited to enjoy the resort’s sumptuous Planet restaurant and lavish Librisa Spa – that is - when you’re not off exploring the bustling streets of Cape Town located right on your doorstep.
What to love
- The hotel’s location in the heart of Cape Town is second to none enabling guests to sample the city’s cultural attractions and buzzing streets morning noon and night.
- The Signature Boutique features artwork and jewellery crafted using traditional South African artisan skills.
- The resort’s exclusive Librisa Spa is on hand for guests in need of a few hours rest and relaxation. Using signature skincare products from Dermalogica and Africology, visitors can enjoy a range of rejuvenating treatments and therapies.
- Culinary experiences are a priority at the Mount Nelson Hotel. The Planet restaurant and bar provide first-class dining in a chic setting while both the Oasis bistro and hotel’s afternoon tea service are great for an afternoon treat.
What to know
- The Mount Nelson fitness centre features state-of-the-art cardiovascular and weight training equipment. A personal trainer service is also available.
- The resort is home to two fantastic pool areas including the Oasis pool, one of South Africa’s largest heated pools. Poolside service is available during the summer months.
- Keen to keep busy minds active, the Nellie & Nelson Activity Centre is available for children between the ages of 3 and 12. Providing a mix of educational games, toys, computer games and activities, kids will love this large, supervised play area.
- The teen lounge is the ideal space for 12 to 18 year olds to hang out and is equipped with a big-screen TV and computer games..
Sitting under the watchful eye of South Africa’s iconic Table Mountain, the Gardens district of Cape Town is renowned for its fizzing atmosphere with an abundance of cultural hubs and activities for tourists to get stuck into. Placing you at the centre of the action, the Mount Nelson Hotel offers luxury accommodation to return to after a hard day’s exploring.
When staying at Mount Nelson, guests are given the choice of three different accommodation types: room, suite or garden cottage suite. Each accommodation type features a crisp, minimalist décor complete with large bay windows and a luxury marble bathroom. Suites feature an additional spacious sitting area, while the garden cottage suites each have a large living and dining area and are suitable for bigger groups. All rooms feature first-class amenities to make your stay comfortable, such as a widescreen LCD TV, iPod docks and wireless internet.
When you’re not out exploring Cape Town, the Mount Nelson resort provides plenty of relaxation activities. In addition to two large pool areas, the hotel is home to the Librisa Spa, which offers a tailor-made course of rejuvenating rituals and body treatments. If the sound of a Finnish sauna isn’t quite your thing, the resort’s innovative gymnasium features state-of-the-art cardio and weight equipment, for a more physical workout.
Not only focused on keeping adult guests happy, the Mount Nelson Hotel makes kids a priority. Both the Nellie & Nelson Activity Centre and Teen Lounge are available weekday afternoons and weekends, and are packed with a range of in-house sports, games and activities.
When it comes to evening entertainment, the Mount Nelson hotel has you more than covered. The uniquely-styled Planet restaurant serves gastronomic feasts nightly, with a kitchen run by head chef Rudi Liedenberg. There is also the option for guests to enjoy private dining. Following that, the Planet bar is the perfect spot for a post-dinner aperitif, stocking a range of champagnes and wines, and with an indulgent cocktail list.
When to Travel
Cape Town has a Mediterranean climate, hence it is typical to expect dry, warm summers and cold and wet winters. The average summer temperature (December-February) is 26.5°C and the average winter temperature (June- August) is 17°C. That said the region experiences in excess of 250 days of sunshine per year.
September through to March is considered spring and summer which is the ideal time for travel, especially for beach goers. May to September is also a great time when the visibility is best and whale watching commences in September.
The Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel is superbly located in the Gardens district of Cape Town close to Table Mountain. The vibrant areas of Kloof and Long Streets, renowned for their bustling markets, restaurants and bars are just a short stroll away. Also close by is the Museum Mile, a pedestrian avenue home to South Africa’s best museums, art galleries and monuments. The V&A Waterfront is just 15 minutes away by car.
The Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel is approximately 20 minutes drive from Cape Town International Airport.
The Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel caters very well for families with a wide range of facilities and amenities for babies, children and teenagers The hotel pays great attention to detail to ensure that everyone, including their youngest guests feel pampered!
The Nellie & Nelson Activity Centre: 3 to 12 years
A colourful hive of activity offers children a range of educational games and toys, big-screen TV, blackboard wall, Nintendo Wii, beanbags and child-friendly furniture. Organised activities, from group games to storytelling, take place throughout the day.
Teens’ Lounge: 12 to 18 years
The lounge is the ideal place for young adults to meet and have fun with computer games and big-screen TV.
Activity Programme: As well as the two club rooms above, the hotel also organises activities, such as cricket matches, face painting, story-telling, swimming, games and treasure hunts.
Family Facilities: There is a family friendly restaurant with high chairs and children’s menu and the hotel can provide baby cots or additional beds on request. The hotel also offers a babysitting service. There is is also a fully supervised children’s club for guests using the Spa at no extra charge.
Added to this the hotel provides children’s welcome letters, child-size bathrobes and slippers, complimentary milk and cookies at bedtime, child and baby friendly toiletries, children’s books, games and computer games.