Hotel Excelsior, San VigilioSan Vigilio, Kronplatz, Dolomites / Italy / Italy Ski
The Hotel Excelsior delivers on the two most important aspects needed from a skiing lodge: a prime location for getting to the slopes, and being a snug hideaway from the cold once the day’s mountain conquering is through. Sitting on the slopes of the Kronplatz Mountain and the Sellaronda ski circuit, this charming hotel is home to 49 elegant rooms with views looking out across the Dolomites and a host of leisure and spa facilities.
What to love
- With the gondola lift leading up to some of the best ski resorts on Kronplatz Mountain and the famous Sellaronda ski circuit located right on Hotel Excelsior’s doorstep – or at the cellar ski depot door, to be precise – there are no concerns about long walks to the slopes in your skiing equipment.
- While the rooms at the Hotel Excelsior may vary in design, they all share a sense of modern elegance, created using natural materials and plush furnishings. Each room has its own private balcony, to get the most of those Dolomite and Alpine views.
What to know
- There are a number of tutor-led fitness programmes available for guests to book on to, including hip-hop dance classes, mixed aerobics, gymnastics and pilates.
- In addition to double rooms, the hotel also offers larger suites, which occupy two levels, feature a large living room, two double rooms, two bathrooms and are ideal for large groups or families.
- Run by one of the best chefs in Italy, Rino de Candido, the hotel’s kitchen serves a menu that mixes the essence of traditional Ladin and South Tyrolean cookery with Mediterranean cuisine.
There’s nothing more essential when you’re out taking on the slopes day-in, day-out than a good evening’s rest once you retire from the cold for the day. And the Hotel Excelsior provides the perfect respite from tackling the mighty Dolomites.
With the majority of its interiors crafted using natural materials, the hotel combines a traditional ski-lodge atmosphere with a crisp modernity. Each room has a unique design, complemented by the captivating mountainous scenery beyond your private balcony. In addition to modern furnishings and a plush double bedspread, each room is fitted with a luxury bathroom, while larger suites also include a spacious living area and extra room and bathroom, spread across two floors.
When you’re not relaxing in your room, the hotel has plenty of communal spaces to unwind and get to know some of the other guests staying. Whether you decide on an after-dinner drink in the stylish bar, snuggle up in the fireplace room, socialise in the traditional cigar room or catch some winter sun on the wooden sun terrace, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. There is also the hotel’s impressive dining room, surrounded by more spectacular scenery, and providing a menu that infuses Mediterranean cooking with local flavours.
In addition to its fantastic ski links – the gondola lift leading up to the Kronplatz Mountain and the renowned Sellaronda ski circuit is located just a stone’s throw from the hotel – the resort also has its own gym suite, spa resort and organises a number of fitness classes including pilates, dance and mixed aerobics. So plenty to keep eager guests occupied when not on the slopes.
When to Travel
The Excelsior is open year round. However the winter ski season generally runs from mid December to early April. From early June to late September guests can enjoy a summer break in the mountains. The mountain flowers usually start to bloom in late June.
The Hotel Excelsior is located at an altitude of 1,200m on the quiet fringes of San Vigilio di Marebbe in the Badia Valley, just five minutes walk from the village centre. Surrounded by Fanes-Sennes-Braies Nature Park in the South Tyrol Dolomites, the region has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Excelsior boasts skiing virtually to and from the doorstep on the Kronplatz, which connects to the superb Sellaronda ski area. In summer the area is a renown haven for mountain bikers offering trails to suit all levels. Hikers will also be spoilt for choice with a myriad of trails to choose from. Private or shared transfers take approx.1 hour 50 minutes from Innsbruck Airport or approx. 1 hour 45 minutes from Bolzano airport.
Hotel Excelsior is the perfect mountain retreat for families year round.
Kid’s Club: 3 to 11 years
Run by experienced childcare staff, the kids club includes an indoor play area with play castle, video games, table tennis, table football, Playstation and DVDs
Summer Adventure Kids Club: 3 to 11 years
The fun and interactive Summer Adventure kids club offers a range of exciting activities to ensure children enjoy the beauty of the natural surroundings around the hotel. Activities include a weekly children’s picnic with climbing course, children’s walks, a visit to South Tyrol’s biggest rope course at Issing, farm visits, adventure trips in the woods, craft workshops, face painting, movie nights and a junior kids club disco.
Children’s Activities: The hotel also boasts a children’s playground, a children’s swimming pool and an adventure park which includes a tree house and ropeway.
Additional Children’s Facilities: The owners really have thought of everything when it comes to families including child-friendly cutlery, chairs and meals in the restaurant, cots and children’s bathrobes and slippers.