Hunter’s Country HouseGarden Route, Western Cape / South Africa
Perfectly placed on the western cape of South Africa between the coastal towns of Knysna and Plettenberg Bay, The Country House offers an escape off the beaten track with its quiet, individual thatched cottages and hidden garden paths. Situated on the country’s famous Garden Route, visitors can expect this charming resort to be filled with lush flora and vibrant wildlife year round, while an incredible amount of attention has been paid to the resort’s exceptional accommodation and dining services.
What to love
- The Country House resort offers an al fresco setting for breakfast, lunch or high tea. Choose to dine in the sunny glass conservatory or take up a seat on one of the cosy sofas at the outdoor boma.
- With an interior inspired from the natural materials of South Africa, ornate carvings and metalwork of India and hand printed Suzani fabrics, the Zinzi restaurant at Tsala is an invigorating dining setting.
- It’s hard to think of a better way to wile away an afternoon than sprawled out one of the Country House’s wooden paneled loungers, while sat adjacent to the resort’s large pool area.
- The rich vegetation around Hunter’s Country House has become the home of a number of elusive and rare wildlife. Take for example the endangered Knysna Touraco bird – which the grounds staff will be happy to help you find.
What to know
- The hotel has a designated play area for its younger guests. The Cubs Corner is a supervised outdoor play area for children up to the age of six.
- The resort takes great pride in the plentiful choice available at its very own wine cellar: stocked with a diverse and impressive collection of South Africa’s finest wines.
- The Country House is located approximately a 10 kilometre drive away from the nearby Plettenberg Bay, while and 22 kilometres from the western cape town, Knysna.
- The Teen Scene is an activity area specifically created with teenage guests in mind. Older children can chill together in the designated lounge while playing darts, watching DVDs or shooting pool.
Offering a quiet and quaint retreat on South Africa’s western cape, Hunter’s Country House’s private thatched roof cottages and winding garden paths serve as the perfect antidote to a rushed city life. Located at the heart of the country’s famous Garden Route, the area is surrounded by lush plant life, dense wooded areas and a number of rare and endangered wildlife species.
The resort’s accommodation is made up of 19 luxurious suites – ranging from the homely thatched roof garden suites through to the largest master suite. Each of the suites have been individually designed, with a soothing palette of oyster shell and pale green colours, which is complemented by antique pieces and cosy furnishings. Each suite comes with its own private garden or patio, while larger options also feature a personal plunge pool.
The Zinzi Restaurant is the resort’s primary location for evening dining, offering a menu packed with gastronomic treats and international flavours, served in an enchanting forest setting. Inspired by its surrounding area, the restaurant’s interior has been designed with a distinctive African décor – complete with handmade mud chandeliers, natural textiles and elegant stone masonry. Meanwhile, for breakfast, a light snack or high tea, the resort’s dining room provides an essential service, which can be enjoyed either in the sunlit glass conservatory or the outdoor boma.
All guests of The Country House receive access to the premium facilities of the lodge, which include the relaxing swimming pool area, a formal lounge spot with library and the opportunity for private pampering sessions. Travelling families with younger members will want to take advantage of the children’s facilities available. The Cubs Corner is a supervised play area for kids up the age of six, while the Teen Scene area is available to older children to hang out together. Babysitting services are also available.
When to Travel
The Southern Cape has a Mediterranean climate, hence it is typical to expect dry, warm summers and cold and wet winters. The average summer temperature (December-February) is 26.5°C and the average winter temperature (June- August) is 17°C. That said the region experiences in excess of 250 days of sunshine per year.
September through to March is considered spring and summer which is the ideal time for travel, especially for beach goers. May to September is also a great time when the visibility is best. Whale watching is possible from June to November.
Hunter’s Country House is ideally situated for guests wishing to explore the beauty of the Garden Route, located just 22km from the coastal town of Knysna and 10km from Plettenberg Bay in the Western Cape. From Cape Town International Airport it is approx. 6 hours drive to Hunter’s Country House. Alternatively Port Elizabeth is approx. 21/2 hours drive.
Families’ are well catered for at Hunter’s Country House . The emphasis is on providing a fun and secure environment for children of all ages surrounded by the forest and beautiful grounds at this luxurious resort.
Cubs Corner: 0-6 years open 7:30am to 3:00pm
Cubs Corner is a designated play area for children up to six years of age and includes a small paddling pool, climbing frames, sand pit and Clubhouse where children can watch films, paint, draw and play games. Should parents wish to have their children looked after at Cubs Corner, childcare services and be arranged on request prior to arrival.
Teen Scene: A designated area where teenagers and older children can chill out and escape to. There is a relaxing lounge area and darts, pool table plus a range of DVDs.
Babysitting: Babysitting services can be arranged on request prior to arrival.
Family Suites: The resort has four family suites which each feature two separate bedrooms, a bathroom and a large patio with sun loungers and a parasol.
Children’s Menu: Hunter’s Country House will ensure that children of all ages are catered for with a children’s menu available at lunch.