W RetreatNorth Ari Atoll / Maldives
From the moment that guests step off the seaplane to reach the secluded W Retreat and Spa, they’ll find themselves completely emerged in tropical island life. Sandy cove beaches trim the edges of Fesdu Island, while the warm waters of the Indian Ocean are home to manta rays, nesting turtles and starfish, making the resort a prime diving spot. And when you want to return to civilisation, the W Retreat provides stylish and contemporary accommodation.
What to love
- The island has a number of prime dive spots located just off the coast, a beautiful house reef and an authentic Fesdu shipwreck. Guests can book dive trips and have the whole experience filmed to keep as a priceless memory.
- The resort’s aptly named SWEAT fitness centre has a state of the art, fully equipped Technogym. Personal trainers are available to hire for sessions in kickboxing, karate, circuit training and yoga.
- Situated over the resort’s tranquil lagoon, the AWAY spa centre offers a ‘Whatever/Whenever’ service to cater for guests every need including massage, wraps, facial and Ayurvedic treatments.
What to know
- This resort is for adults only and not recommended for those under 13 years.
- 15 Below is the Maldives only underground nightclub. Here the resident DJs play a blend of club classics and dance anthems and the party lasts long into the early hours.
- Connecting villas are available for guests staying in large groups or with friends.
- The W Retreat is home to three fantastic restaurants, each with an intimate island setting. Take a choice of contemporary world foods at The Kitchen; an al fresco, beachside barbecue at Fire; or a fresh fish menu at the over water Fish.
The W Retreat and Spa is a contemporary and stylish island resort that compliments the natural splendour of Fesdu Island. The elegant thatched roof villas of the retreat stare out towards the isle’s enchanting turquoise bay and even have their own private sweep of the beach
The modern styled, two-floored villas are the epitome of luxury accommodation. The spacious bedrooms feature plush, signature W king sized beds, while the open roofed bathroom is fitted with a deep, standalone bathtub and rainforest shower. The large living area is just as lavish, kitted out with a 42” plasma TV with Bose sound system and floor to ceiling windows.
Each villa has a large outdoor terrace area, complete with its own personal grill station, ideal for a light snack in the sunshine before a dip in the private plunge pool.
Upstairs, each villa has a private viewing deck, for an unbeatable panoramic vantage point over the island.
With such privileged access to the ocean, the W Retreat provides all of its guests with the facilities to try a whole host of water sports. Snorkel equipment, pedal kayaks, Molokini canoes and windsurfing boards are all complimentary from the resort. And for those a little more daring, the resort’s WAVE centre offers extreme water activities such as parasailing, big game fishing, catamaran sailing, kite surfing and wakeboarding.
Guests who prefer to keep their feet on the ground can still have plenty of fun at the W Retreat resort. The innovative SWEAT Technogym is fully equipped with training and fitness equipment, with a personal trainer on hand to guide you if needed.
Meanwhile, the resort’s AWAY spa area has been designed with four luxurious treatment rooms, offering an extensive list of relaxation remedies including massages, wraps, facials and Ayurvedic treatments.
Keen to spoil its guests when it can, the W Retreat is home to three gastronomic dining experiences, as well as some fancy bar areas. Each restaurant has a unique island location, with house styles including: beachfront barbecues, an over water seafood restaurant and an open kitchen serving contemporary world foods. Each bar has hired trained mixologists for fresh fruit cocktails to round off the evening.
When to travel:
The Maldives offer an idyllic tropical climate with the main summer season from December to April, getting hotter from February. The wetter months are May to November.
Best time to visit: December – April
Good time to visit: May - November
Cast away in the turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean, W Retreat & Spa lies delicately in the pristine beauty of Fesdu Island in the North Ari Atoll, to the west of Malé. The North Ari Atoll and W Retreat is a short 25-minute flight by sea plane from Malé.
W Retreat is targeted at couples and with that in mind plus the over water accommodation, this resort is not recommended for children under 13 years of age.