Hotel 20 Degrés Sud – Relais & ChâteauxGrand Baie, North Coast / Mauritius
Hidden amongst an old coconut grove bordering the water’s edge, Hotel Degrés Sud – Relais & Châteaux, is a charming boutique hotel that ensures its guests of an intimate and personable stay. Made to feel like home from home, the hotel’s large bedrooms and suites have cosy interiors, while the restaurant service and leisure activities can be tailor made to meet guests’ needs. With rooms located just ten metres from the Mauritian shoreline, even the resort’s natural beauty is available at your leisure.
What to love
- Small boutique hotel with spacious rooms and suites elegantly decorated with antiques and furnishings from Belgian interior decorator Flamant Home.
- Some fantastic unique dining options including dining aboard M/S Lady Lisbeth, the Island’s oldest motor boat.
- Hotel 20 Degrés Sud offers an abundance of leisure activities for guests to enjoy including sailing, diving, big game fishing and boat excursions.
- An impressive number of spa treatments are available at the hotel’s wellbeing area. Fitted with three treatment rooms, guests can indulge in over 40 different therapies, including hot stone massage, mud wraps and body scrubs.
What to know
- With just 36 bedrooms throughout its entire complex, Hotel 20 Degrés Sud - Relais & Châteaux, has a quiet and intimate atmosphere, located just a stone’s throw from the beach.
- In order to preserve the seclusion and tranquility of this hotel, children under the age of 12 years are not permitted.
- There is a free shuttle service four times a day to the Grand Baie (by traditional motorboat pirogue).
- A special seven-course lobster menu can be requested at the restaurant. Available upon prior request only.
Located on the north coast of the Mauritius, Hotel Degrés Sud – Relais & Châteaux, sits quietly in front of the beautiful Grand Baie lagoon. Surrounded by an old coconut grove, this boutique hotel is made up of just 36 bedrooms, gifting an intimate charm and evoking the essence of your own private hideaway. With some of its rooms located just ten metres from the shoreline, guests are greeted by breathtaking views of the lagoon come morning, night and noon. The rooms themselves have a particularly homely quality, conjured by the decorative antiques and furnishings that adorn the interiors.
The hotel also offers 2 Suites with outdoor Jacuzzi and 4 Austral Suites, 2 on the first floor with a Jacuzzi on the terrasse and 2 on the ground floor with a private plunge pool. There is also a Secret Suite with an 8m private pool. Four private villas are also available, each with large communal areas and private access to the seafront.
The main restaurant at 20 Degrés Sud is located directly in front of the seashore, with diners given the option of eating by the beachfront, the main swimming pool or inside. With a kitchen fronted by chef, Sanjeev Puraboo, the menu consists of freshly caught fish and local specialties. Notably, the restaurant serves breakfast at any time, creating a service to accommodate to guests’ differing needs.
Once you’ve explored the natural beauty and vibrant market towns that surround the resort, the hotel also has a number of leisure activities to enjoy. With a location so close to the lagoon, guests can take up a host of water sports such as sailing, diving and big game fishing. While those who prefer dry land will want to make full use of the 18-hole golf course.
For traditionalists, the hotel also features two fresh water swimming pools and a spa area offering an extensive list of treatments including mud wraps, massages and body scrubs.
When to travel:
Mauritius enjoys a typically tropical climate with year-round heat, although the southeast trade winds help it to not feel too muggy.
The best months to visit Mauritius are May to early December. Water sports enthusiasts and divers will want to avoid January and February, the peak cyclone months. Cyclones rarely hit Mauritius but cyclones way out at sea can bring days of squally rain.
The summer months are from December to April, when it can nevertheless be extremely humid, and the winter, such as it is, runs from May to November, and is cooler and drier.
Coastal temperatures range between 25°C and 33°C in summer and between 18°C and 24°C in winter, although on the plateau it will be some 5°C cooler. When the winds are at their strongest in July and August it can be blustery on the east coast, though the breeze brings welcome relief in summer.
Apart from the Christmas-New Year peak, Mauritius doesn’t really have high and low seasons. The situation is more dependent on outside factors (such as the French school holidays, which cause a big increase in demand and prices in August).
Hotel 20 Degrés Sud is on the north coast of Mauritius, a short distance (5km) from the lively town of Grand Baie and 60km from the airport. The north coast of Mauritius has an abundance of sheltered beaches, making it an ideal tourist and watersports destination. Hotel 20 Degrees Sud is approximately 75 minutes drive from the airport by taxi or private car.
In order to preserve the seclusion and tranquility of this hotel, children under the age of 12 are not permitted.