Palazzo AvinoRavello, Amalfi Coast / Italy
Standing proud on Italy’s stunning Amalfi coast, the foundations of the Palazzo Avino hotel derive from a 12th century private villa, before being transformed into the five-star hotel that it is today in 1997. Overlooking the majestic Mediterranean sea and coastal fishing villages of the area, the hotel is home to Michelin star dining, an exclusive spa resort and spectacular accommodation. The resort prizes itself on its helpful and accommodating staff, with an average of two employees to every room.
What to love
- Stunning five-star deluxe hotel on the Amalfi coast, rated as one of the world’s finest hotels and boasts dining with a Michelin star.
- The hotel's Club House, located just a short ride away, is the ideal spot to enjoy lazy days by the sea in fabulous surroundings.
- Palazzo Avino’s spa resort offers the ultimate zen experience – with a location overlooking the cliffs out towards the Mediterranean sea. The well-being centre is designed with hydro pool, sauna, Turkish steam bath and treatment cabins.
- The hotel has a rooftop solarium, which offers breathtaking views across the coastline and out across the Mediterranean. Guests are invited to use the two rooftop whirlpools, or simply relax with a glass of Prosecco.
What to know
- There’s a private beach club with complimentary shuttles throughout the day.
- A fitness centre unlike any other. The gymnasium is located outside in the resort’s gardens and shaded by gazebos. Guests can use the state-of-the-art technogym equipment while looking out towards the ocean.
- The resort’s Lobster & Martini Bar serves the freshest, locally-sourced lobster, paired with champagne. Guests enjoy sampling the 65 different Martini cocktails on offer, crafted by the in-house mixologist.
- Ideally located in the pretty village of Ravello for day trips to Capri and Pompeii.
It may be hidden from plain sight in the tiny medieval hilltop village of Ravello, but the Palazzo Avino hotel is perched high above Italy’s famous Amalfi coast, with sublime views of both the charming fishing villages hundreds of feet below and the glistening azure of the Mediterranean. When guests want to get closer to the shoreline, the resort’s clubhouse is just a 15-minute drive away in the village of Marmorata, and is right next to the sea.
Matching with its insurmountable location, the Palazzo Avino’s room and suites have been designed with the grandest of intentions. Decorated with antique carpets, eighteenth century furniture and brass fittings, the décor certainly leaves an impression of extravagance. Each room is also fitted with modern amenities and state-of-the-art bathroom facilities.
The hotel offers two first-class dining experiences, in both the formal environment of the renowned Rossellinis restaurant and the casual, but charming surroundings of Terrazza Belvedere. Award-winning chef Michele Deleo is Palazzo Avino’s executive chef, and constructs menus consisting of bold Italian flavours and exquisite contemporary International dishes, created using fresh, local ingredients whenever possible.
The resort has been designed with a number of luxurious extras to help pass the time when you’re not out exploring. The in-house spa resort offers a range of beauty and relaxation methods, and is fitted with a hydro pool, sauna and Turkish steam bath. The hotel also has a unique outdoor fitness area, allowing guests to work out on the various technogym equipment while still enjoying the fantastic sights of the clifftop resort. The resort also has a large swimming pool area, in addition to a rooftop solarium, complete with two whirlpools – allowing guests to really soak up that Mediterranean sun.
When to travel
The best time to visit is in spring (April to early June) or autumn (September and October). In summer the climate is hot and humid and the coast’s single road (SS163) is extremely busy, often with long tailbacks. The beaches, restaurants and tourist attractions are also very busy in the summer months.
Palazzo Avino is located in the picturesque hilltop village of Ravello on the Amalfi coast. The hotel is 60 km from Naples and 25km from Salerno train station. From Naples you have the option to either hire a car or take a private transfer to Palazzo Avino which takes approximately 1 hour.
Children are very welcome at Palazzo Avino, although there are no specific childcare facilities available at the hotel. Interconnecting rooms are available.
Some facilities and activities to do as a family
Clubhouse by the Sea: Palazzo Avino's Clubhouse by the Sea is located in the small town of Marmorata, just a 15 minute drive from Ravello. There is complimentary access to the beach platforms for all hotel guests, a small swimming pool, the casual Clubhouse Restaurant, changing rooms and relaxing living rooms. A complimentary shuttle service to and from the hotel is available starting from 10 am. The Clubhouse by the Sea opens from May 1st to September 30th.
Swimming Pool: A 20m outdoor heated swimming pool is situated in the gardens of Palazzo Avino with an amazing view of the sea and the mountains.
Trekking – There are a multitude of paths and tracks through the beautiful scenery surrounding Ravello that are a must for any would-be trekker or even someone looking for an afternoon walk.
Tennis – There are two tennis courts available to book in Ravello. Available to players of all abilities.
Diving – Why not go exploring the beauty that the Mediterranean has to offer beneath the surface? Snorkelling and diving equipment is available to hire from most coastal resorts in the area.
Horse-riding – With such exquisite scenery surrounding the Ravello-based resort, one of the best ways to experience it is by horse. Horses are available for a number of scenic routes.
Boat trip – Have a day you’ll never forget on a private yacht charter. Trained crew members are on hand to take you on a tour of the most exciting spots that the coast has to offer. Discover hidden islands and quiet fishing villages.