Shangri La’s Barr Al Jissah ResortMuscat / Oman
Having made their home in Oman’s coastal capital Muscat, the three hotels of the Barr Al Jissah Resort receive glorious views across the turquoise waters of the Gulf of Oman and pleasant temperatures all year around. The three hotels – Al Waha, Al Bandar and Al Husn – share between them traditional Dhofari architecture, an extravagant network of swimming pools and exquisite Arabian inspired dining, not to mention the sublime spa area that shares the resort’s name.
What to love
- Translating to mean ‘The Oasis’, the Al Waha campus has been designed to live up to its name, with the hotel’s connected pools surrounded by date palm trees to form a lush, tropical sanctuary.
- Based at the foot of an impressive mountain range and with spectacular views out across the Gulf of Oman, the scenery surrounding the Barr Al Jissah Resort is a visual feast.
- Both the Al Waha and Al Bandar hotels have taken specific care and attention into making their facilities family friendly. The resort has a kids’ club, family entertainment venue, children’s pool and kids’ mini golf.
- The resort is home to several exclusive bars and restaurants, with each hotel catering for its guests with its own signature restaurants. Al Waha has Samba, with its bold international flavours; Al Bandar has the Italian influence of the Capri Court; while the only Moroccan restaurant in Muscat, Shahrazad, can be found at Al Husn.
What to know
- The rooms and suites at the Al Husn hotel are some of the largest in Oman. Arabian palaces have inspired the lavish accommodation and guests are permitted access to the hotel’s 100-metre private stretch of beach.
- Chi, the resort’s spa centre, offers a soothing and relaxing environment for weary guests. The exclusive resort has a vitality hydro pool a herbal steam room, an ice fountain, and tundra and tropical showers.
- The resort’s fitness centre is kitted out with the latest state-of-the-art fitness equipment, in addition to a sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi. The resort also has four tennis courts.
- The resort is situated next to a vibrant Omani Village which is home to a wide selection of restaurants, craft shops, jewelers and an authentic souk marketplace.
Situated close to Oman’s beautiful capital, Muscat, Shangri La’s Barr Al Jissah Resort and Spa makes the most of its exotic, captivating surroundings – with three majestic hotels looking out towards the Sea of Oman. While each hotel – be it Al Waha, Al Bandar or Al Husn – differ in style and ambience, each experiments with traditional Arabian flavours, and offers a fantastic vantage point from which to explore this wonderful country.
The largest of the trio of hotels, Al Waha is a family orientated hotel, renowned for its manmade tropical oasis – a large collection of swimming pools interspersed with lush greenery and date palm trees. Ranging from a one bedroom to a superior suite, all of Al Waha’s rooms feature stunning ocean views and a large outdoor balcony or patio to enjoy them – family suites with adjoining rooms and indoor entertainment are also available. Come dinnertime, the hotel offers a wide variety of international flavours at its signature restaurant, Samba, while a child-friendly menu can be found at Surf Café.
The resort’s high level of culinary expertise continues at the Al Bandar hotel, home to the Capri Court, where restaurants serving tapas, authentic Italian cuisine and authentic Arabic cooking can all be found. With a name that translates as ‘The Town’, Al Bandar’s architecture is inspired by old Muscat, which can be noticed in the ornate detailing of its accommodation suites and outdoor balconies. Al Bandar’s large rooms and suites each provide exquisite views of the resort’s dense gardens and the Gulf of Oman, and in addition to an outdoor terrace, are completed with a luxury living space and premium bathroom.
When to Travel
The best time to visit Oman is between November and mid-March, when the cooler air brings the mountain scenery sharply into focus and daytime temperatures average 25°C. Between May and August the weather is very hot and hazy reaching a peak between July and August when it is very hot and humid, however hotel rates are often heavily discounted making this a good value time to visit.
Ramadan and religious festivals such as Eid-al-Fitr and Eid-al-Adha, are strictly adhered to outside of the resorts in Oman. Whilst you will notice little difference in the resort during your stay, there are usually restrictions on where and when alcohol can be consumed during these periods.
Shangri La’s Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa is located just 15 minutes drive from Oman’s capital Muscat and within easy reach of the old city and Muttrah. This stunning beach resort has a magnificent position nestled between majestic mountains and the turquoise blue Gulf of Oman. The resort is approximately a 45-minute drive from Muscat Internationa airport.
The Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa offers guests an exceptional array of facilities and is very welcoming to families.
Cool Zone Kids Club: 4 to 8 years (under 4 if accompanied by a parent or guardian)
Located in the Al Waha Hotel in the heart of the resort, Cool Zone provides air-conditioned indoor and outdoor play areas.
Adventure Zone: The Adventure Zone is an exciting family entertainment venue for all thrill seekers with a variety of modular play areas featuring over under hurdles, swing over net, drop slides, climbing wall, PS3, computer with Wi-Fi access and soft play areas. The highlights are the three drop slides providing fun and adventure for all, with the ultimate 6.5-metre Demon Drop slide. Adventure Zone is located in the Al Mazaar Souk adjacent to the Omani Heritage. Children should wear long sleeve shirt and socks.
Children's Pool: The children's pool is located beside the Circles Pool Bar at Al Bandar hotel and next to Assira Pool Bar at Al Waha hotel.
Lazy River: Meander your way between Al Waha, Al Bandar and back again on inflatable tubes along the Lazy River, inspired by the centuries-old falaj system that brought fresh water to remote Omani villages.
Activities for Children: There a lots of activities for children to enjoy such as treasure hunts, Henna painting, and the Sand City Competition. The resort also offers activities that let children explore traditional Arabian crafts in a hands-on, engaging way.
Splashpad: Located on the headland at the Al Waha hotel, Splashpad is an aquatic play area for all the family with a combination of water effects from light mists to touch sensitive sprays and projection jets.
GameZ: Located in Al Mazaar Souk, GameZ is a game room where the entire family can play billiards, snooker, air hockey, electronic darts and video games.
Adult-Only Areas: To protect the safety of small children and provide a relaxed atmosphere for adults, certain areas of the resort, such as the in-hotel bars and CHI, The Spa are reserved for adults only. Children below 16 are not permitted to use the private beach at Al Husn or Al Husn pool.