Southern Ocean LodgeKangaroo Island, South Australia / Australia
An award winning lodge that offers commanding Southern Ocean views from its secluded clifftop location overlooking the rugged and wild coastline of pristine Kangaroo Island. Refined comfort and modern luxury are fused together in spectacular style to offer guests a truly unique and exclusive travel experience.
What to love
- Southern Ocean Lodge is a blueprint for 21st-century hipness, with stunning glass fronted suites that include sandblasted limestone floors, recycled spotted gum feature walls, and contemporary bespoke furnishings and artworks commissioned from local Kangaroo Island artisans.
- Sophisticated yet simple cuisine created from the finest local ingredients with intense flavours, served in the restaurant with mesmerising views.
- Come face-to-face with prolific bird and animal species such as New Zealand fur seals, koalas, kangaroos, Australian sea lions, ospreys and echidnas.
What to know
- Kangaroo Island is renowned as Australia’s Galapagos due to the diverse wildlife and spectacular landscapes. Discover the island’s unique natural attractions on a range of complimentary experiences.
- All meals and beverages, both alcoholic and non alcoholic are included in the rates. A select list of vintage SA wines and French Champagnes is available at a supplement.
- Keen photographer’s should not miss the coastal clifftop walk for stunning bird’s eye views of the Southern Ocean as the waves crash on to the coast below.
Southern Ocean lodge is regarded amongst the finest luxury lodges in the world. Sensitively designed to float amongst the untouched coastal drama of Kangaroo Island’s south west coast, the celebrated world-class lodge commands spectacular ocean, beach and wilderness views. Southern Ocean lodge adjoins both the Flinders Chase and Cape Bouger/Kelly Hill National Parks and is spectacularly positioned set back from the cliff in Hanson Bay on the Kangaroo Island’s south west coast, within easy reach of all of the island’s major attractions.
The sensitive design showcases a full frontal panorama and features interiors that combine modern luxury with locally sourced artwork in a unique eco chic style that seeks inspiration from the natural surroundings. The Great Room is the centre of activity where guests can enjoy exceptional meals in the restaurant and a relaxed drink at the convivial open bar with an exclusively South Australian wine selection. The luxurious suites include bespoke furnishings and lavish sleeping areas complimented by breathtaking ocean views.
Exceptional guided adventures complete the experience and guests are encouraged to explore the pristine landscapes and abundant wildlife on Australia’s own Galapagos first hand including walks amongst sea lions and close encounters with kangaroos. Guests can be as active as they please with a personalised experiential itinerary tailored on arrival or take time to relax and rejuvenate in the secluded Southern Spa which offers treatments that take inspiration from the natural surroundings.
When to travel
A destination for all seasons, Kangaroo Island has a Mediterranean climate with warm summers and temperate winters. Daytime temperatures range from 25-35°C in summer to 14-18°C in winter.
Kangaroo Island is located 15km from the shores of mainland South Australia. The island measures 155km long by 55km wide. Situated at Hanson Bay on the Island's south-west coast, Southern Ocean Lodge is a 50 minute drive from the airport at Kingscote or 90 minute drive from the ferry terminal at Penneshaw.
Regional Express (Rex) provide regular 30 minute flights from Adelaide to Kangaroo Island – Kingscote (KGC). There is a 15kg luggage limit per person however any excess luggage may be uplifted or stored at Adelaide Airport for a nominal fee.
SeaLink operate regular 45 minute ferry transfers between Cape Jervis on the mainland and Penneshaw on Kangaroo Island. Cape Jervis is a picturesque two hour drive from Adelaide
Southern Ocean Lodge welcomes children aged 10 years and over. Application for exception may be made dependent on the season, child age and booking particulars.
Activities for families
A superb range of experiences are included in the rates at Southern Ocean Lodge. Complimentary mountain bikes are available and there is a range of walking trails for guests to experience. The lodge also has a DVD, book and board game library. Quad bike safaris, kayak adventures, beach fishing, guided hikes, nocturnal explorations and special interest tours, deep sea fishing trips and scuba diving can be arranged at extra cost.
Seal Bay: Seal Bay is home to Australia’s third largest colony of Australian sea lions. Join the lodge’s naturalist guide for an exclusive tour on the beach and learn about their unique breeding cycle and the ongoing research programs implemented on site.
Wonders of Kangaroo Island: A spectacular introduction to KI’s wildlife, maritime heritage and stunning coastal landscapes. Visit Cape du Couedic lighthouse, Remarkable Rocks, Admirals Arch and a fur seal colony and wander amongst the rare Cape Barren Geese and search the leafy eucalypts for a sleepy koala.