SUJAN JawaiJawai Bandh, Rajasthan, / India
A powerful message of conservation runs through the heart of Sujan Jawai’s modern, luxurious reimagining of a traditional safari camp. Its expert rangers help to track and protect the area’s rare and abundant wildlife, while its gourmet kitchen runs on local, organic produce. Guests are also encouraged to interact with the local villages that the resort’s community projects help to support. It’s a unique safari experience in this most captivating part of India.
What to love
- The resort’s owners have co-founded foundations that work closely with the development of villages in the local area – which includes providing medical care and supporting schools.
- Take a guided 4x4 game drive through the spectacular Jawai wilderness, which is home to India’s largest leopard population.
- Guests can organise a trek to explore the local temples and villages alongside the Rabari herdsman, who have lived in Jawai’s hills for centuries.
What to know
- The resort welcomes children, and the Family Tented suite is available with two double connected bedrooms.
- Sujan Jawai’s 10 tented accommodation takes camp life to indulgent new levels. Each spacious suite has sleek, modern interiors, its own private veranda, and offers complimentary wi-fi and great views of the area’s dramatic granite hills.
- The resort’s kitchen operates around the schedule of its guests, and it sources all ingredients from its own garden or local traders.
The Sujan Jawai campsite sits opposite towering granite rock formations, looking out on a dramatic landscape that feels a world away from the bustle of modern city life. Meanwhile, the elegant accommodation takes notes from another era entirely, with hand-crafted cream tents and sleek African-inspired interiors reminiscent of safari excursions taken in the early 1900s. The resort’s 10 suites serve as the perfect personal refuge away from the wilderness, each designed with an en-suite bathroom with hot shower, plush double bed, and private sit-out. The larger Royal Tented suite also has a private heated swimming pool and dining area, while the Family Tented suite provides two connected double bedrooms.
Sujan Jawai’s dedication to comfort is as apparent as its commitment to conservation. The resort’s owners have co-founded foundations to help support local villages and anti-poaching in the area, and there is ample opportunity to learn about these traditions and initiatives. The passionate team of rangers – who track the area known for its large leopard population – are available to lead twice-daily game drives, while Rabari herdsman can be hired for a guided hike that takes in the local shrines, temples and villages.
Whatever way you choose to spend your time, the kitchen staff back at camp will follow the rhythm of your day – serving up traditional Indian dishes and snacks made from homegrown and locally sourced produce at a time that suits you. Those seeking an after-dinner nightcap can settle up around the campfire with their fellow guests, swapping stories about the day’s excursions. While anybody looking to wind down further can take advantage of the spa and wellness treatments on offer.
When To Travel
SUJAN Jawai is a seasonable camp that is open each year from September 20th - April 30th, the summer months being too hot.
Although set in a very remote location, SUJAN Jawai is relatively close to Jodhpur (165 km/ 2H30) and Udaipur (160 km/ 3H10), both of which have airports with good links. Many visitors visit whilst on a road tour of Rajasthan and SUJAN Jawai can easily be incorporated into such schedules.
The camp staff are very friendly to children and will love to show the next generation all there is to know about this captivating part of India and the Ribari tribe's culture. Walks and hikes can be enjoyed in the stunning landscape accompanied by a colourful Ribari guide. Children will also love to go out on a game drive and see if they can sight a majestic Leopard.
Children are most welcome at the camp and up to two children under 8 years of age can stay with their parents on a complimentary basis. The Family Tented Suite is also ideal for families with older children or those wishing to have extra space. These have two separate tents connected by a another tented area which can be used for private dinners if preferred.