Zuri ZanzibarKendwa, Zanzibar / Tanzania
As the first hotel in the world to be awarded with Earthcheck’s Sustainable Design Gold Certificate, the wonderfully zen Zuri Zanzibar has taken conscious choices not just in its construction but also throughout its day-to-day management. From its beautiful African-styled bungalows, suites and villas, to its lively private spice gardens that colour the grounds green, there’s sustainable thinking behind it all.
What to love
- With its own wellness centre, yoga deck, outdoor fitness area and art therapy sessions, the resort offers countless ways to unwind.
- The Upendo restaurant provides visitors with mesmerising views across the whole resort, while plating up African and Indian Ocean-inspired cooking.
- All of the 56 elegantly designed accommodations feature large outdoor terraces, while many include open-air jacuzzis and your own stretch of private beach.
- The resort employs a range of green initiatives, from its water management to its energy efficient cooling system used in the guest accommodation.
What to know
- The hotel is located in Kendwa village, 50 kilometres away from Stone Town and the international airport.
- The Wimbi Water Sports Centre has experienced instructors that can arrange diving lessons.
- Bungalows with interconnecting rooms and villas are available that are ideal for families.
- The hotel’s accommodation has been fitted with a speedy internet line.
With its lush spice gardens and picturesque bungalows and villas that lead up to the turquoise Indian Ocean, Zuri Zanzibar is a place that feels teeming with life. The hotel believes in caring for this small pocket of paradise, situated in Kendwa village on the west shore of the island, and has been founded on a host of green initiatives. Choices in its design, such as the Evening Breeze cooling system in guest accommodation, which uses much less energy than standard air conditioning, is why it picked up Earthcheck’s Sustainable Design Gold Certificate. It also has an excellent water management programme and works hard to support local communities.
Staying at Zuri Zanzibar helps you embrace a slower pace of life. Its contemporary villas and bungalows are surrounded by rich vegetation, and have been intentionally spaced apart to ensure complete privacy. While all accommodation options feature large outdoor terraces to soak up the sunshine and outdoor showers, some options also include open-air jacuzzis and a private stretch of sandy beach.
While there is plenty for guests to do within the hotel grounds – like pay a relaxing visit to the Maua Wellness spa, smash a workout at the outdoor ‘wild fitness’ gym area, or zen-out by the 32-metre long infinity pool – Zuri Zanzibar is perfectly placed for some exploring. Take a trip north to the Jozani Forest and go searching for Red Colubus monkeys, or wander the charming streets of Stone Town, the historical heart of Zanzibar. The Wimbi Water Sports Centre is also on-hand for those keen to make the most of the coral reefs and clear waters that make this part of the world such an incredible diving hotspot.
When to Travel
Zanzibar is at it's best from June to October when temperatures are warm but the weather dry. Heat junkies will love the dry hot months from December to February. Less inviting, although quieter. are the the two relatively short wet seasons, from mid-March to late May and again in November.
The hotel is located in Kendwa village, 50 kilometres away from Stone Town and the international airport.
Families are most welcome and will love the location. The resort's sustainability message and impressive work in the community will ring true to many a budding Greta Thunberg. Zuri Zanzibar can also offer various accommodation options that are ideal for families, from the interconnecting Bungalows to the two and three bedroom villas that can sleep up to 6.